Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Philippine Schools in Riyadh

School is over. It’s summer time. My kids are staying at home. Either they’re watching TV, eating, sleeping or are busy with facebook, ipod and iphone. Yup, social networking sites and gaming gadgets are the new recreation activities for the new generation. Nice but not so nice.

Gone are the days when children rush to the streets and play habulan, patintero, langit-lupa, sipa, jack and stone, taguan and tumbang-preso. The street is now not a friendly place to bum around. Not in the kingdom.

Classes will resume after two months and to prepare (yes, as early as now) I have been thinking about sending them to a new school. There used to be only one Philippine school in the city; so, there was no choice. Kids in school used to know each other very well. Now, I think there are about 10 schools and children have become estranged.

I asked around and listed all the Philippine schools. I’ve been hearing a lot of stories which I have to consider as I deliberate the fees, quality of teaching, expertise of the faculty, the policies, as well as the academic and extra-curricular activities.
  1. Al Danah International School
  2. Al Taj International School in Riyadh
  3. Elite International School
  4. Fawaq International Science School of the Philippines
  5. Future Generation Philippine International School
  6. International Philippine School in Riyadh
  7. Millenium International School
  8. Palm Crest International School
  9. Riyadh International School
  10. Second Philippine International School
Come to think of it, with approximately or maybe more than 2 million OFWs in KSA and with 10 Philipine schools in Riyadh alone, are Filipinos subtly migrating, not just working but establishing their families in the kingdom? It must be nice to live in the kingdom. Is it?

Anyhow, I must go back to mulling.

Oh, should you wish to get the school's contact information, please visit the Inter-Agency Committee on Philippine Schools Overseas website.

Ok, back to mulling again.



2 comments:

  1. Bitin ako. Tulad ng marami, lalo na sa mga baguhang parents dito sa Riyadh, it is important to hear some reviews about the different Philippine schools in the kingdom. Sana ma-share mo sa amin ang mga "stories which I have to consider as I deliberate the fees, quality of teaching, expertise of the faculty, the policies, as well as the academic and extra-curricular activities". This will be very helpful to us. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Anonymous. Thank you for bringing that up. Like you, I am also a parent and of course, we want all the best for our children. Much as I would like to say something about the teaching quality and faculty expertise, I am not in the best position to write about it as I have only experienced two of the mentioned Philippine schools. It will be biased. I believe our children are different in a way that they have various needs that some schools may offer or not. I can I only say that in every good thing, there is always a bad side.I will be posting some details on their fees and some policies in the future. However, I'm sorry I would have to suggest asking around the Filipino community or some trusted friends about the way of teaching and faculty issues. Thank you.

      Delete